Grand Gathering 2023 – Everything you need to know!
Hello Hynafol Attendees!
Below you will find all of the information that you need to have an amazing time at our event.
As we approach the final days of the event our staff and volunteers will be out at the event site preparing for you. We will do all that we can to get back to you through regular communication channels as quickly as possible. However, there are many resources on our website and many informed members on our Discord Server – please use those resources as we draw near the event.
How do I get started with Hynafol?
First, please review the Rules and Lore section of our website:
- Read all about our many guilds here – You will probably want to join one!
- Religion is a big part of life at Hynafol….Read up on what each religion believes here.
- On the continent there are several Kingdoms vying for power.Learn all about them here.
- During the event there will be two battles of epic proportions, and three dynamic skirmishes will you be participating in them?Read our combat guide!
Everyone MUST be in medieval clothing during the event. There are no exceptions. We will ask you to change if you are not dressed appropriately.
Please read this document to learn about our decorum standards.
Second, please make sure you have filled out the correct forms for the ticket level you have purchased.
Experience & Couple’s Package Ticket Holders
- Personal Information – Everything we need to know about you to have a great event.
Standard Ticket Holders
Do you have a decorum medieval tent and camp setup? Fill out this form.
Everyone else, including RVs, will be camping in the Modern Camping section. Please fill out this form.
**Please note: If you are a member of a Sherwood Forest Faire clan – you need to fill out these forms**
Third, please join our discord: https://discord.gg/cgC8GhAq
- This is where the vast majority of communication between players is taking place.
- Make your username on the server [First Name Last Name] | [Character Name]
– Or TBD instead of [Character Name]
- Read through the announcements & rules section
- Request to join a Guild Channel
Shuttle Bus –
- Those taking the bus will receive a confirmation email the day before the event with all pertinent information.
Bus arrives: 11:30a.m. in the arrivals area.
Bus Departs: 12:00p.m. from the arrivals area.
- Do not be late 🙂
Hynafol Dates & Full Schedule
Date: Wednesday November 8th, 2023
- Gates open: 9:00a.m.
- Cars out of the Faire and Campgrounds: 5:00p.m.
- Player Orientation: 5:00p.m. (ALL PLAYERS MUST ATTEND.)
- Dinner Served: 5:00p.m. – 7:00p.m.
- Hynafol Kickoff Meeting: 7:15p.m. at The Trip to Jerusalem
- Game Begins through the mists…: 8:00p.m.
Location: Sherwood Forest Faire
Wednesday November 8th is the first day of Hynafol.
Gates will open at 9:00a.m for both the front gate and the camping areas.
During the day will be your opportunity to setup your camp and get settled in.
There will not be any services such as food or drinks available during the day. Activities should be kept strictly to setting up and preparing for the event.
All members must check in – either at the front gate or the camping entrance.
There are two different addresses to follow on your GPS apps to access the grounds. It is the same location with different addresses. Please pay special attention so you do not get lost.
Please note: Hynafol, and Sherwood Forest Faire cannot be responsible for your items stored inside or outside of your tents. While the grounds will be closed to anyone outside of the Hynafol team and Faire employees, we cannot guarantee the safety or security of anything in your tents or camping setups.
Experience Package Members:
Address: 1883 Old Hwy 20, McDade, TX 78650
Please park in the field near the front gate. Please note the “front gate” of the Faire is currently under construction. You will have to use the “Fire Exit”. But there will be signs don’t worry.
Once you go through the “Fire Exit” take an immediate right turn and follow the road. You will be on the inside of the walls of the faire, but not in the faire proper. Once you enter the faire proper find a place to park on the road and take a left to the nearest bar.
That will be the checkin-building. There will be volunteers around to point you in the right direction.
You’ll be verified with your photo ID and then directed to your tent. Hynafol does not send out tickets!
All tents will be marked with numbers. We will direct you to the general area where your tent is located and your tent number will be very easy to find.
You may drive into the faire grounds to drop off your belongings. Please park and drive carefully, but DO NOT PARK ON THE GRASS. It’s new and nice let’s keep it that way.
When you arrive you can check in at the camping entrance initially located here:
3106 Highway 290 Paige TX 78659
You can then follow the signs to the Castle and park in the spots behind the castle. Please unload, get setup, and then you’ll need to head to the main sherwood address to park your car and check in at the main gate.
The keys to your room are located at the main gate. Not at the castle.
Main gate address: 1883 Old Hwy 20 McDade, TX 78650
Decorum & Modern Camping Members:
Address: 3106 Highway 290 Paige TX 78659
When entering the grounds there is a small building that you will need to stop and check in at and verify your identity with your photo ID.
Once you make your way through the entrance you can drive to your camp site. The site can be slightly confusing if you have never been to the campgrounds. Please drive slowly and take your time. There are plenty of maps to guide you along the way.
Decorum Camping: You will be staying in the Sherwood Forest Faire’s Clan Campground. Many people have put countless hours, dollars, blood, sweat and tears into those campgrounds. They love them dearly. Please do not disturb the site – If it does not belong to you, you should not touch it or disturb it. This goes for decorations you may not like or understand. Many of these are memorials and should be left alone and undisturbed.
Modern Camping: The campsites are similar to “primitive” campsites. Feel free to move in and set your things up in the space provided to you.
RVs: RVs can be parked and used in the Modern Camping area in the RV parking. There are large pads that are easily identifiable Please know that there are not any utilities. All RV users in the RV area only will be allowed to use inverters or a generator with a baffle box. Loud generators will not be allowed to ruin the immersive experience of Hynafol and if yours is deemed as disruptive you will be asked to turn it off.
Check in to the event and the Story Building
When you arrive a few things will happen.
First, please come prepared with your photo ID to verify your identity.
You will then be given a wristband that needs to be worn for the duration of the event. Do not lose it. It is a $35 fee for replacing it.
You will then be directed either where to camp if you have an experience package and are camping within the grounds.
If you are camping within the grounds move your vehicle to your spot, unload, and move your car to the parking lot as soon as possible. Drive slow. The roads are tight and stay off the grass.
Map of Hynafol Campgrounds:
If you are camping in the campground or are finished setting up inside the grounds you will need to visit The Three Crowns Counting House / Story.
At the TCC. you will check in with the story team and register your character and pickup anything else the story team has provided for you.
From there you are free to begin exploring the grounds, socializing and preparing for the game to start.
Dinner & Bar Service
Food Service Location: Dante’s
Dinner will be served at 5:00p.m – 7:00pm.
Food service is open and welcome to all attendees of Hynafol.
If you are an Experience, Couples, or Royal Package member simply show the staff in Dante’s your wristband.
All others can pay for their meals.
Here is the full menu for the week:
All meals will have
vegetarian, gluten free and vegan
Breakfast (Every Day) 8:00a – 9:30a
Cereal w/ milk
Bean & Cheese
Bean & Cheese & Bacon
Egg & Cheese
Egg & Cheese & Bacon
Egg & Cheese & Potato
Egg & Bacon
Egg & Potato
Coffee – Complimentary with every meal
Lunch (Every Day) 11:30a – 1:30p
Comes with french fries, a bag of chips, a bag of frozen grapes, or trail mix (except for Fruit & Cheese Plate)
Hamburger (lettuce, tomato, onion)
Extra patty +
Cheese + (Swiss or Provolone)
Hot Italian Sandwich (Salami, Prosciutto, hot Capicola, Sopressata, Pepperoni, Mozzarella, Provalone)
Turkey Sandwich (Turkey, Provolone, Lettuce, Tomato)
Ham Sandwich (Ham, Swiss, Lettuce, Tomato)
Fruit & Cheese Plate (Grapes, Dates, Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Pepperjack, Cheddar, Swiss, Colby Jack, and Artisinal Crackers)
Chicken Fried Steak or Chicken + 2 sides
Mac & Cheese
Turnips in Butter
Chicken, Beef, or Pork Tenderloin + 2 sides
Mac & Cheese
Turnips in Butter
Chicken, Beef, or Pork Tenderloin + 2 sides
Mac & Cheese
Turnips in Butter
2 choices of Chicken, Beef, Pork Tenderloin, and Sausage + 3 sides
Mac & Cheese
Turnips in Butter
Late Night Snacks
Pizza by order – available to order all day until 8:30p – available to pick up starting at 9:00p
Brick oven full pizzas
Brick oven personal 12″ flatbread
Poutine (french fries and cheese curds topped w/ brown gravy)
Our Tavern for the week will be the Trip to Jerusalem.
There will be a selection of beer, wine and mead for you to enjoy.
Please keep in mind strict over service rules will be in place.
Gameplay, Guilds and other Information:
Do not worry if you feel behind. There is so much to do and explore you will quickly be caught up.
Here are your first steps if you have done nothing:
- Go to the Story Building and discuss your character with our team. They will gladly help you get started and point you in the right direction.
- Consider joining a guild: Read through the Guild Guide Book and see if there is one that peaks your interest. Find the members of that guild at the event and introduce yourself with the intention of joining. They will gladly welcome you in with open arms.
- Consider joining a religion: In our medieval world religion plays a big part and there are many interesting belief systems to consider. Attend one of the public ceremonies for the religion and meet other people who follow the same deity as you!
- Get ready to battle: If you’ll be battling find someone that would like to spar with you and learn how to use your weapon(s). If you don’t have a weapon get one from our weapon vendor.
- Visit the shops: We want Hynafol to be an amazing shopping experience so help our vendors want to come back by purchasing from them during the event.
- Head over to the pub and meet people – find out what they’re doing and go along for the adventure!
Frequently asked questions:
- Does X item come with my package?
– If it is not listed in the listing for the type of package that you purchased then you will not receive it at the event. This includes bedding, pillows, towels, toiletries, etc.
- Are the flushable toilets open?
- Are the showers open?
– Yes, and they are wonderfully hot!
- Will the plastic privies be kept clean?
– Of course we will do our best, if there is anything wrong please come to the registration building and notify one of our team.
- Is there a burn ban?
– No! Feel free to have a fire. It must be inside a fire pit and a fire extinguisher must be on hand and known by everyone in your camp.
- Can you randomly attack people walking around?
– No! There are rules. Please read about the Fae Protection rings here.
- Will I be randomly attacked while walking around?
-No! All combat will be consensual even from NPCs.
- How do I get in contact with the staff?
– Please head to the story building during normal play hours (until 10:00p.m.). If it is after hours and is an emergency please call 911. If you just need a staff member please call: 206.395.6368. If there is no answer please text that number with who you are and where you are. A staff member will come as soon as possible.
- What If there is an injury, accident, etc.?
– Please call 911 and then notify the staff as soon as possible.
- What is your code of conduct?Code of Conduct
You agree that you will abide by Hynafol’s Code of Conduct. This code of conduct includes the following:
- Build Good Culture. Welcoming, inclusive and fun culture does not happen by accident. These words very accurately describe the culture of Hynafol at its inception and the principle that it was built upon. It is now in your hands to uphold this standard with your words and deeds. Let’s build on this legacy together.
- Zero Tolerance Policy on Harassment. Hynafol does not allow harassment, bullying, or hazing of any kind. This includes physical, verbal and sexual harassment. Harassment is persistent and unwanted attention or speech. If you are harassing individuals in attendance of any Hynafol event you will be removed without refund.
- Zero Tolerance Policy on Bullying. Hynafol is a welcoming and inclusive place for people of all abilities. There is no tolerance for pressuring people into any kind of unwanted situation. You may not pressure people into doing anything at any time.
- Zero Tolerance Policy on Sexual Assault. Sexual Assault is any non-consensual sexual touching of a person. If your hands are not asked for or been given a sober, verbal affirmation of touching, they should not be on another person. Any kind of touching should be verbally consented to before it begins.
- Respect. This means that without question you respect someone’s gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race or ethnicity, age, religion, political beliefs, philosophies, geographic origin, or socioeconomic status. You do not have to agree with people’s life choices, but Hynafol is neither the time nor the place to disrespect those people’s life choices.
- No Shaming. There is no reason for anyone to be shamed for any reason, at any time. All things at Hynafol are opt-in, with no consequences for you if you opt-out. A player should not be shamed for opting out of any activity.
- Don’t Be a Bigot. At no time should there be any bigotry, as defined as “intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself” toward anyone, inside or outside of Hynafol. This includes racial, sexual, and religious opinions. Keep your comments to yourself.
- Physical Altercations. The use of your hands on another person in a harmful, harassing or damaging manner is grounds for immediate expulsion from any and all Hynafol events.
- Keep the peace. You should keep your actions, words, and demeanor in such a way that peace is kept for all. This should be a fun event where everyone is felt welcome. If you are making others feel unwelcome – outside of role-play – then you are not welcome.
Any final advice?
Yes, everyone should be friends in Hynafol. You’re going to fight on the battle field, negotiate in politics, and argue your religions until you’re blue in the face.
Then, when the day is done, and the mead is shared around the campfire, everyone should be friends. You may still have heated arguments, but the idea is to make friends and memories at this event.
See you all tomorrow!
- The Hynafol Team